UVA IN SIENA
The study abroad program in Siena offers students an exquisite, small-group experience in a less-touristed Tuscan city. The program is administered by CET Academic Programs with UVa serving as its academic sponsor. UVa thus has a primary role in curriculum design, implementation, and standards. UVa in Siena is a direct credit program.
The benefits of UVa in Siena include:
- SIENA – a breathtaking, manageable, smaller-sized city in beautiful Tuscany, only an hour from Florence but without the tourists and crowds that can sometimes overwhelm the highly-trafficked Italian city; Siena's modest size and well-preserved medieval layout also encourage more frequent Italian language use, to accelerate one's language competence;
- HOUSING OPTIONS -- apartment living with fellow American students and Italian university students or with host family;
- SIZE -- a smaller program, with 18-30 students on average, from UVa and other American universities and colleges;
- INTENSIVE LANGUAGE LEARNING -- all students attending UVa in Siena complete two language courses in a single term (spring, summer or fall); students can efficiently fulfill courses toward the CLAS Foreign Language Requirement, or the Italian Studies major or minor;
- COURSES -- UVa in Siena offers a variety of courses, with special focus on language, art history, Italian literature, cinema and culture; courses also in Italian History, Politics, Studio Arts; most classes taught in English with the opportunity to take certain courses in Italian;
- DIRECT CREDIT -- UVa in Siena is the only program in Italy offering direct UVa credit. Students' coursework in Italy is automatically integrated with on-grounds UVa records; grades earned count toward the GPA; no need to get approvals from different departments for specific courses, no “transfer credit” paperwork necessary. For more information on the differences between direct credit and transfer credit, click here.